About Us

The history of First Trust & Savings Bank is a story of sound economic growth from its beginning in 1881 and continuing throughout its first century of service to residents of the Aurelia community. These same sound-banking principles will guide us as we embark into our second century of friendly service to patrons in Cherokee County.

Again, these sound banking principles and good management enabled the Bank to carry on “through good times and bad times—including the severe depression—without assistance from any government agency”…an accomplishment of which the officers and directors of the bank have justifiably been proud of over the years.
In 1985, the well-publicized Ag crisis hit northwest Iowa with a vengeance. However, the bank survived, primarily due to the hard work of its employees, officers and directors.
Following the Ag recovery period, the stockholders entered negotiations with George and Ruth Pingrey of Sac City, who, following regulatory approval, purchased controlling interest of Aurelia FT &S Bankshares, Inc.

The Pingrey family has purchased all of the outstanding shares of the minority shareholders, in Aurelia FT &S Bankshares, Inc. On October 1, 1996, the Cleghorn State Bank was purchased and merged into this bank. Following several successful years, the board of directors boldly chose to open a bank branch in Marcus. By doing so, it allowed us to expand our market into the Marcus area.

Our Quest for Excellence…